Find out if Santa Barbara really is California’s answer to the French Riviera on this walking tour through the idyllic seaside city. With perfect weather almost year-round, a relaxed lifestyle and fascinating history, it’s easy to see why many Hollywood celebrities and music stars reside here. Follow your wanderlust as you stroll through the heart of downtown Santa Barbara where I’ll show you its legendary landmarks, historic hotels and finest architectural achievements.
Starting on the corner of Alice Keck Park Memorial Garden and Alameda Park, you’ll learn about Santa Barbara’s early roots. I’ll tell you about the Chumash natives who lived here more than 9,000 years ago, and the city’s dramatic transformation when Spanish explorers Juan Cabrillo and Sebastian Vizcaino arrived here in the 1500s. As you wind your way across State Street to Stearns Wharf where our tour ends, I’ll tell you about the disastrous 1925 earthquake that destroyed the area, and how influential activists with a vision put policies in place to preserve the remarkable beauty of the historical downtown district.
On this tour, you’ll have the opportunity to:
• Listen to the story of the 150-year-old Moreton Bay Fig Tree
• See where Sebastian Vizcaino made landfall
• Appreciate one of the city’s most important historical sites, the El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park
• Discover the city’s alluring Urban Wine Trail, covering over 20 wineries
• Soak up the fresh wild air along West Beach
• Learn how John Peck Stearns’ wild and visionary idea transformed Santa Barbara into a bustling town
• Hear how the Funk Zone got so funky
• Find out where the action was and the booze flowed during prohibition
• Take in some of Downtown’s most iconic landmarks including Hotel Californian, Lobero Theatre, Hotel Santa Barbara, and the Santa Barbara Museum of Art
• Gaze at one of the city’s oldest structures, the Covarrubias Adobe, situated next to the Santa Barbara Historical Museum
Every city has a story to tell, so join us as we bring Santa Barbara’s to life on this 75-minute stroll. You’ll leave with a newfound appreciation for this sensational seaside paradise.
Your adventure awaits!